Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Oshima Stool

Lately I have been experiencing an ache on my lower back especially after standing still for long moments. It comes from a lifetime of bad posture, I guess. I tend to arch my back or slouch. Even my comfy position when sleeping is with an arched back. This has taken its toll on my spine and I find it difficult to sit or stand with good posture. Hey, I'm a laid back kinda person ;) Well, either that or I'm getting old (OMG Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!)

Then during a casual conversation with Suzzanne (from my church choir), she introduced the Oshima stool to me saying it had helped strengthen her back and many other benefits.

Basically, the Oshima stool is a wooden contraption with one surface slanted at a 45 degree angle. One is supposed to stand on it, toes pointing upwards, for about 10 minutes a day. I stand for the length of one commercial break ;) After that, do some stretching and forward bending.

Beginners are advised to hold on to something for support. When standing on the Oshima, it is very important to keep the legs and back straight with the butt tucked in. The benefits include slimming, flattened tummy, elimination of excess fat, smoothen stretch marks, improved blood circulation, accelerate cell metabolism, improved imunity, better posture and better spinal alignment.

Suzzanne gave me a flier about the stool and here's a list of all the benefits depending on which group you subscribe to:-

Medical - It is a one of a kind physiotherapy to stretch the muscles and straighten the body posture. Overlapping vertabraes can have a wider space in between and free the attached blood vessels which gradually achieve self healing.

Traditional Chinese Medicine - It can help to improve blood circulation. When Qi is circulating well, it helps to avert many diseases.

Yoga - Stretches muscles and stimulate the sluggish, to improve hormonal secretion and achieve self healing.

Well, I don't know much about the above. All I know is that since I started using the stool, the backache has disappeared! Anyone interested in trying out the Oshima Stool, feel free call me.

No comments: